Need a pick-me-up? A boost of energy without filling up your stomach or going hyper on sugar? Then this is a recipe for you. No baking required – simple mix, chill, cut and serve. Delicious!
Makes 8 Bars
What you need:
- 1/2 cup dried fruit
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all bran cereal
- 1/2 cup rice krispies
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Under a grill, toast the mixed nuts till they start to brown.
- In a clean bowl, mix the nuts with the dried fruit, oats, all bran and rice krispies.
- In a saucepan, heat the honey, butter and brown sugar together till the sugar is completely dissolved and the mix starts to bubble.
- Working quickly, pour the syrup mix into the bowl over the dried ingredients. Make sure everything is coated in the syrup.
- Lightly grease a baking pan and pour the mix into the pan. Using the back of a spoon or a spatula, flatten the mix down into the pan.
- Leave in the fridge overnight to set.
- Once set, flip the pan upside down over a chopping board and cut into bars.
These bars are small but filling and they slowly release energy thanks to the oats and all bran. Perfect if I’m having a particularly busy day running about the place and need to keep my energy levels up. They’re great on hikes and for that extra boost before a session in the gym. I absolutely love them and they’re so unbelievably easy to make.