There’s been a bunch of awesome DIYs recently using clear PVC plastic – clutches, cuffs, satchels and many more from my DIY blogging compatriots such as “A Pair and A Spare“, “Swell Mayde” and “Honestly WTF“. I’d been thinking of a way to DIY with PVC plastic but seeing as how I’d previously been using perspex boxes to make my transparent clutches; I had to think up something different and unique. So, with that in mind, I introduce to you Sara’s Henna – an amazingly talented HK-based Henna artist who creates bridal hennas, henna-ed heels, phone covers, ipad covers; organises henna workshops and events (this girl defines multi-tasking). And here is where I introduce our DIY-Henna collaboration: the Henna Bib Necklace! Using PVC plastic as the base, Sara created a simple henna design that you can trace from the printout below using homemade waterproof acrylic paint. Don’t worry, it’s not as intimidating as it may look!
What you need:
- Clear PVC Plastic – cut into a bib shape
- Homemade waterproof acrylic paint – mix acrylic paint with simple PVA glue (white glue)
- Flat-based crystals
- Gold Chain – 2x 8 inch lengths
- 1 Gold lobster clasp
- 2 Large gold jump ring
- Small Pliers
- Contact Adhesive
- Double-sided tape
- Using a plate, draw the outline of a semi circle to cut the bib shape out of the PVC plastic.
- Using the bradawl, poke two holes at the ends of the bib.
- Thread one length of the gold chain up through the two holes. Repeat with the other side.
- Attach the two ends of one length of chain with the jump ring.
- Attach the two ends of the other length of chain with the other jump ring and attach the lobster clasp onto that jump ring.
- Print out the henna design template below. Using the double sided tape, stick the bib down on the paper.
- Using your waterproof acrylic paint, trace the henna design onto the plastic.
- Stick the flat-based crystals onto the bib using contact adhesive.
- Leave to dry.
Check out the awesome video Sara made of our collaboration below:
Follow Sara’s Henna:
- Facebook: Sara’s Henna In Hong Kong
- Twitter: @SarasHenna
- Instagram: @sarashenna
- Pinterest: @sarashenna