The context of this recipe is: I just moved house and am now lucky enough to have a gorgeous rooftop (kinda like the holy grail of HK real estate); luckily the weather has held out enough for me to be able to fully enjoy dining al fresco (again, a very rare thing in Hong Kong) . Now, al fresco dining is a complete kettle of fish (pardon the pun) and so one cooks accordingly. For some reason, our primal selves seem to emerge and all I want to do is either cook meat on open fire and/or eat with my fingers. After an exploratory journey into Yuen Long, I discovered that it is a complete mecca for foodies and cooks (watch out soon for walk-through blogposts for the intrepid HK wanderer on All Things Indulgent). I found the most incredible produce in the market in Yuen Long for a fraction of the price you’d pay on the island. Oohing and ahhing wasn’t enough after spying these huge clams – I had to have them!
- 2 pounds Clams
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup white wine
- Half an onion – chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves – minced
- Handful chopped Flat-leaf Parsley
- Handful chopped Dill
- Salt & Pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Crusty bread – for dipping
1. Wash the clams and let them soak in salt water for at least an hr.
2. In a deep saucepan, melt the butter over a medium-high heat.
3. Add the onions and turn the heat down slightly. Sweat the onions while stirring occasionally.
4. Add the garlic and cook gently.
5. Drain the clams and add to the saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon so the clams are all evenly coated in the butter.
5. Add the white wine, turn the heat down low and cover. Stir occasionally.
6. After 5-10 mins of steaming the clams should have opened. Take off the heat, chuck any unopened clams away.
7. In a bowl add the parsley, dill, salt & pepper and lemon juice.
8. Serve with crusty bread to soak up the juices.
Sitting on the roof with a glass of chilled rosé, munching on these clams and soaking up the sauce with chunks of bread is such a pleasure for me – I implore you to go out and take the time to enjoy life’s little pleasures!