It’s Christmas eve tomorrow! I feel like even though I’ve been Xmas DIYing all over the place it’s only really hit me in the last few days that it’s Christmas (guess that’s what happens when there’s no cold snap in the lead up to Christmas – after all I’m used to chilly winds, short days and on some occasions-snow, during the Christmas countdown and Hong Kong has not had any of that!) But that being said I haven’t been “Bah Humbug”ing all over the place and once all my Christmas gifts were wrapped and placed under the tree I really started to feel festive and excited!
This drink is kind of like the liquid version of that excited, warming, festive feeling. Totally comforting (totally bad for you, but hey, it’s the holidays!) and really indulgent. I’d only come across this drink this year and I’m already kicking myself for not discovering it sooner, but not to worry, it’ll certainly be repeated for years to come.
What you need:
- 1 tsp softened unsalted butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 50ml dark rum
- Apple juice – warmed, to top up
- Cinnamon Stick (optional to garnish)
- Grated Nutmeg
- In a heatproof glass (ideally a coffee glass), place the butter.
- Add the maple syrup, allspice and rum.
- Top the glass up with the warmed apple juice and mix with a spoon till the butter has melted and emulsified with the liquid.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg on top and use a warmed cinnamon stick as a stirrer.
I’ve seen a few recipes for buttered rum that includes using ice-cream or cream, these are certainly moorishly delicious recipes themselves but I figured using apple juice would make it slightly less unhealthy. That being said though if you really do want to indulge, you should definitely try a recipe that uses a bit of vanilla ice-cream – it’s total bliss!