I love decorating the Christmas tree; it fills me with such a warm fuzzy feeling; just turn up the tunes, pour a mug of mulled wine, reminisce and decorate the house. I really love when there are handmade ornaments on the tree. Sometimes it’s not about having a perfectly decorated tree but having one full of memories of good times. So, why not start (or continue) to build memories with your loved ones this Christmas. This is a great DIY project, especially to do with the kids to get them involved in crafts.
What you need:
- Faux leather sheet – I used beige
- Handful of pearl beads
- Handful of crystal beads
- Handful of gold beads
- Fabric scissors
- Tailor’s chalk
- Contact Adhesive
- Red Ribbon – about 7″
- Place the sheet of leather facing down. Draw the shape of a 5 point star using the tailor’s chalk.
- Using the fabric scissors cut the star out.
- Glue the underside of the star to the sheet of leather.
- Cut out the shape of the star again – the ornament should be leather on either side.
- Using the point of the scissors, create a small hole in the top of one of the star’s points.
- Slip the ribbon through the hole, pull through so the star sits in the middle of the ribbon length. Tie a knot just above the star’s point. Tie a bow at the end of the ribbon – this allows the ornament to be adjustable.
- Spread a thin layer of contact adhesive over one side of the star.
- Stick the pearl, gold and crystal beads all over the star at random until the entire face is covered. Leave to dry.
Such an easy tutorial but it’s totally gorgeous and will make an awesome addition to your tree. You can easily loads more ornaments in different shapes using different types of beads, buttons and lace.