Ho! Ho! Ho! It’s day 2 of my “24 days of Christmas DIY” and I’ve got a great tutorial for a pair of beautiful wire drop earrings that will make a wonderful gift for a lovely lady (even if that lovely lady happens to be yourself – I LOVE getting gifts for myself!) These earrings are elegant and despite being quite easy to make, there’s something special about hand-making a gift for someone; it really shows you care and you’ve put some thought into choosing their gift.
What you need:
- 2 marble beads (I prefer to use proper semi-precious stones or a heavier marble because their weight makes them hang really beautifully)
- Silver wire – 0.5mm width
- 2 silver earring hooks
- 2 silver jump rings
- Cut a piece of silver wire – about 8 inches long.
- Thread one bead onto the wire and slide it down so there’s about 2 cm at the top.
- Wrap the wire up around the side of the bead and thread it back down through the hole in the bead.
- Wrap the wire up around the other side of the bead.
- Continue to wrap the wire around the bead three more times.
- Make a loop at the top of the bead with the remaining part of the wire.
- Twist the initial 2 cm of wire around the loop. Continue to wrap the longer part of the wire around the loop.
- Using the pliers, cut any remaining wire. Tuck the wire under the loop and squeeze with the pliers to secure.
- Link an earring hook onto the loop with a jump ring.
- Repeat with the other bead.
These earrings are great – they’re so easy to make and are a truly beautiful and personal gift. Use black onyx or silver moonstone beads and they’ll make a perfect New Year’s Eve accessory – elegant and versatile; what a great gift!