In the lead up to the holiday season; during which there’ll be plenty of partying, eating and drinking, it’s important to keep healthy and eat well. Hong Kongers are both foodie and fitness enthusiasts – our fair city feeds us extremely well but it’s up to us to keep our lives as balanced as possible! It’s not easy to be totally health-conscious when you’re dining out and whilst I’m definitely not one to advocate neglecting life’s pleasures & indulgences, I do believe that when at home, you can whip up something delicious and nutritious. This particular recipe is an absolute favourite of mine ; it’s so easy to make, got plenty of flavour, plenty of veg & protein- a great post-workout dinner.
What you need:
- 1/5 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 handful of thinly sliced red onion
- 1/5 chicken breast – sliced
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/5 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Japanese citrus vinegar
- Drizzle of sesame oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Using a potato peeler, cut long strips from the carrot and celery.
- In a large bowl, mix the carrot and celery strips with the red onion. Add the olive oil, vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Bring a saucepan full of salted water to the boil on the hob.
- Once boiling, place the chicken strips into the water and turn off the heat. Using a slotted spoon, move the chicken around in the water until it’s poached all the way through. Remove from the water.
- Place the asian ‘slaw on a plate and place the poached chicken on top.
- Scatter with coriander leaves and sesame seeds.
And there you have it! How simple is this recipe?! You can easily make it earlier in the day and have it there waiting for you when you get home – perfect!
Now, whilst I have no shortage of recipes & DIY projects for this blog; when it comes to the fitness element of a balanced life, I (like others)need some help and motivation. For my Hong Kong lovelies, I thought I’d mention a great new training programme that you can get involved with. KuMoves has brought Outdoor Group Training to HK and it’ll shock your body into shape! Free trials are happening Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights at Central’s Botanical Gardens at 7:30pm (other sessions & locations are available) with NASM & Tabatha Bootcamp Qualified Personal Trainer, Sophie Scholz. You can contact her at email@example.com for more information on class schedules, locations and details. Visit their Facebook Page to keep up to date with the latest happenings, events, tips and nutritional info.