So suffice to say that many of us were hangin’ this weekend – the problem (or perhaps perks, depending on how you look at it) with having a festival like Halloween midweek is that the weekends either side are inevitably going to be filled with activities…and therefore (inevitably) filled with food and booze. Now, I love Halloween – I love everything about it from the history & ghost-stories to the snacks, sweets, parties, drinks…seriously, anything autumnal that includes ghouls and goblins – I’m in! However, sometimes even the most stealthy of party-goers (not that I claim to be one) needs a break. So, if you had a particularly heady weekend, or if you’re generally on the lookout for a delicious, nutritious, hearty yet healthy recipe then look no further, this one really hits the spot!
**I feel like I might need to clarify for some of my American readers:
Aubergine = Eggplant
Sarnies = Sandwiches
What you need:
- Floury Bap / Bread Roll
- 3-4 slices of Aubergine (per sarnie)
- 2-3 slices of Halloumi cheese (per sarnie)
- Heat up a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan and place the aubergine slices in the pan. Sprinkle some salt & pepper on top and pan-fry the slices on medium heat till they start to darken in colour and soften in texture. Then flip.
- In a separate pan, pan fry the halloumi slices (you can grill them too but I find that grilling doesn’t quite give halloumi it’s lovely crispy exterior).
- Slice the bap in half and spread a layer of hummus on either side.
- Once the aubergine and halloumi are done, pile them onto one half of the bap.
- Serve with rocket on the side.
This is such a yummy recipe that has worked its way into my kitchen repertoire – me, a complete carnivore, absolutely loves this sandwich. It’s great if you want a bit of a veggie health kick but the cheese also makes it a great hangover comfort. It certainly ticks all the boxes! Mmmmm delicious!