Well, today is a day of celebration for my family; today we welcome baby Taylor #2 into the world! I love being an aunt – all the fun and games but you can give them back at the end of the day! (Obviously joking!)
So, in light of this day of celebration, I thought I’d share a fantastic cupcake recipe. Perfect for any type of celebration; if you need a sugar pick-me-up or even just for a thursday afternoon with a cup of coffee. Love cupcakes…
What you need: (makes 12)
For the cupcakes:
- 100g + 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2.5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp bakin powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag chocolate buttons
For the frosting:
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- A couple drops of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C.
- Mix the sifted flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt with the butter in a freestanding mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat on a slow speed until you have a sandy consistency & everything is mixed together.
- Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla together in a bowl and slowly pour half into the flour mix. Beat to combine on high speed.
- Turn it down to slow speed and add the remaining milk mixture. Continue to mix until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon the mix into paper cases until 2/3’s full and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the icing by mixing the icing sugar and butter.
- Combine the milk and vanilla in a separate bowl then add to the butter mix slowly, a little at a time. Once all the milk has been poured in, turn the speed up to high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. *The longer the frosting is beaten the lighter and fluffier it becomes.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled down, feel free to frost them as generously as you like.
- Stick 4-5 chocolate buttons on top of the frosting.
Yum! If you’ll excuse me, I intend to go celebrate the birth of my second niece and the belated birthday of my first niece with one of these deliciously moorish cupcakes right now!