Jewellery can be a true expression of your personality, mood and style. Sometimes I find it difficult to truly pinpoint what my “style” is – sometimes I’m in the mood for a big and chunky statement necklace; sometimes I fancy stacking dainty girly chains; other times I simply want to keep it nice and easy…so I opt for stacking arm candy. I love all looks – retro 70s style, vintage-inspired outfits, hippie-chic, biker-chic, androgynous-chic, 60s mod…honestly, my “style” changes as much as my moods. But lucky for me, that means I’m not limited – I love all sorts of jewellery, accessories, outfits to suit my many different personal styles which in turn means plenty of DIY opportunity and inspiration to be found just about anywhere.
I was feeling particularly girly the other day, especially after I found a mixed bag of different coloured pearl beads – they looked ethereal, antique and feminine, and that was just while they were in the bag! When I spotted this adorable “bird-sitting-on-a-branch” pendant I immediately knew what to do with it – it was just too cute for words!
What you need:
- 56 pearl beads
- Fishing wire
- 4 clam shell bead tip
- 3 medium gold jump rings
- 3 small gold jump rings
- Horizontal pendant
- 1 gold lobster clasp
- 6″ small gold chain – cut into two 3″ lengths
- Cut two 10″ lengths of fishing wire. Tie a triple knot in the end of one of the lengths, secure with a clam-shell bead tip. Repeat with the other length.
- Thread 28 pearls onto each length of fishing wire. Secure each end with the remaining two clam-shell bead tips.
- Hook one of pearl strands onto one of the medium jump rings, connect this jump ring to one end of the pendant.
- Hook the other pearl strand onto the other jump ring and connect it to the other end of the pendant.
- Hook one of the open ends of the pearl strands onto a small jump ring and connect that to one of the lengths of gold chain.
- Repeat with the other pearl strand and other length of gold chain.
- Hook the remaining medium jump ring onto one end of the gold chain.
- Hook the lobster clasp onto the other gold chain using the remaining small jump ring.
Most people probably wouldn’t consider this my usual style but I just love the vintage-inspired look and plus, it’s just so damn girly and freakin’ cute! I’ll for sure be stacking it with some other chains and necklaces so that it’s a bit more “my style” but even on it’s own, I just love love love this gorgeous piece!