One of my favourite stories growing up was “The Snow Queen”, I especially loved the animation film – I mean the woman lived in an Ice Palace, rocked the perfect white fur robe (I’m sure in contemporary times it’d be faux!) and had an amazeballs crown made of icicles. I’m hoping it doesn’t reflect negatively on my character that I loved the antagonist of a fairytale…that being said don’t get me started on the fierceness of Malificent (ahh I can’t wait for the Ange Jolie adaptation..).
So, the inspiration for this particular DIY was the awesomeness of the Snow Queen’s crown – “shards” of ice and icicles: who wouldn’t want a statement piece like that hanging on their neck!? I’ve been influenced a bit by Swarovski as they occasionally have the most beautiful statement necklaces however, at HK$10,000+ a pop, they’re not exactly in my budget. So, add a bit of drama to your wardrobe with this versatile piece that (thanks to it’s lack of colour) goes with every colour!
What you need:
- Gunmetal Chain – two 2 ft lengths
- 11 Big diamond shaped “crystal” beads
- 12 Big teardrop shaped “crystal” beads
- 3 Big Chandelier piece-type “crystal” beads
- 30 Medium silver jump rings
- 1 Toggle Clasp
- Cut one of the lengths of chain, 2″ shorter than the other.
- Lay out the two lengths and place out where you’re going to put the “crystal” beads – the top chain should be the 11 diamond shaped bead and the bottom chain should have the 3 chandelier pieces in the middle and 6 teardrop pieces on either side.
- Attach the beads to the chain using the jump rings. There should be one chain link between each bead.
- Once you’ve attached all the beads, hook the two ends of the chains at one side onto a jump ring and hook the bar of the toggle clasp.
- Hook the other two ends of the chains onto a separate jump ring and hook the loop of the toggle clasp.
It took me no time at all to make this awesome piece and now, it’s time to let out my inner “Snow Queen” diva. I love wearing this out with a LBD or more conservatively on top of a blouse. It truly does go with everything whilst exuding fairytale drama.