So I thought I would do something totally unlike me – and write a DIY tutorial for a really bold statement piece of jewellery…ha! No seriously though, I have noticed a bit of a trend here – all I seem to make is statement jewellery at the moment. But as they said, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” I’m loving all these new additions to my wardrobe; besides being absolutely gorgeous; they are actually very useful when it comes to lifting an outfit from “work” to “play”…“day” to “night”. I found this DIY really easy and totally awesome to wear, hopefully you will to!
What you need:
- 1 Bangle
- 1 yard of black satin ribbon (about 1-1.5cm in length)
- Mixed handful of black & clear crystals – mix up the shapes & sizes (personally, I don’t love everything too matchy-matchy)
- 12 mixed spike studs (silver and bronze)
- Hot glue gun
- Contact Adhesive
- Plug in the glue gun and wait for the glue to heat up (remember to do this over newspaper).
- Glue a small blob on the underside of the bangle and stick one end of the ribbon.
- Carefully wrap the ribbon around the bangle, adding blobs of glue to the underside as you wrap.
- When you get to the end of the ribbon & the bangle is completely wrapped up, stick the end to the underside of the bangle using a small dot of glue (you may need to stick the edges down with contact adhesive)
- Using the contact adhesive, glue 3 clusters of crystals at even intervals on the topside of the bangle. You can mix and match the crystals by shape, size and colour.
- Once the adhesive has dried and the crystals are secure, alternate gluing the different colored spike studs between the crystal clusters – there should be 4 studs between each cluster.
- Leave to dry.
So easy isn’t it!? The only thing that took up time with this DIY was waiting for the contact adhesive to dry; that’s why I made this bangle in the evening, let it dry overnight and in the morning it was slipped on effortlessly and simply garnered attention. This bracelet really can transform an outfit and it’s versatile enough to work with so many different styles. Perfectly paired with jeans and a white blouse for an added rockstar element. Elegantly teamed with a gown for a black-tie event. Effortlessly stacked with a plethora of arm candy for an edgy fashionista look….the possibilities are truly endless.
Lucky for me there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of statement jewellery inspiration and (more importantly) materials making their way into my life so unfortunately for those fans of more dainty DIYs, there could be many more statement pieces on the way!