I’m taking a step away from my recent obsession with spikes & all things edgy to give you this ethereal and girly statement piece. I love big pieces of jewellery; it’s part laziness part fashion statement because you only need one big statement piece. Makes getting ready in the morning a lot easier (although I am one of those people who chooses their outfit the night before…yes, I am a bit of a control freak…plus I really really love my sleep so even an extra 20 mins makes a big difference to me)! That being said, whether you, like me, prefer to decide your outfit the night before or prefer to choose more impulsively in the morning; this necklace looks great with everything!
Incidentally, my lovely friend Sabrina and I once had a little discussion about how we chose our outfits – I prefer to choose clothing first (e.g pick out a dress then accessorize) whereas she will decide the jewellery & accessories first then work the clothes around them. However, after I made this necklace, I knew immediately that I wanted to wear it the following day, so I ended up fashioning my outfit around my necklace! Anecdote to take away from this story – jewellery has the power to modify even the most stubborn of control freaks!
What you need:
- 2 different coloured beads in two different sizes (you could easily use two types of beads of the same shade, i.e. one kind translucent, the other opaque) – you’ll need about 2-3 heaped handfuls of each colour & each size.
- Thin fishing wire
- 12 clam-shell bead tips
- 6 medium jump rings
- 2″ thick metal chain – cut in half
- 1 Toggle Clasp
- Measure how long you would like your necklace and cut the fishing wire into 6 equal lengths, just slightly longer than your measured necklace length.
- Thread a length of wire through one of the clam-shell bead tips, tie a triple knot in the end then using the pliers, close and secure the clam-shell tip over the knot.
- Thread alternating sized beads of the same colour on one length of wire.
- Thread the end of the wire through another clam-shell bead tip, tie a triple knot in the end of the wire and using the pliers, close and secure the tip over the knot.
- Repeat with the remaining wires & beads. In the end you should be left with 3 lengths of each colour bead.
- Lay the 6 lengths out and secure the bead tips at either end onto 4 separate jump rings.
- Fold the lengths in half and twist one set over the other.
- Hook each pair of jump rings onto each length of chain.
- Hook the toggle clasp onto the open ends of the chains with the remaining 2 jump rings.
Easy peasy! This DIY can take a little time but it’s well worth it in the end due to it’s versatility; this necklace can suit any season and any “look” – pastels for spring, jewel tones for summer, earthy neutrals for autumn and black & gray pearls for a goth-glam winter look. Heads up friends with birthdays coming up, you may not be surprised with your gift!
**By the by, I would be interested to know how many of you out there are like myself – choosing an outfit clothing first. And how many are like Sabrina – dressing jewellery first!? Let me know in the comments below!