Remember that quote from Forrest Gump – “life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get” ? Well, I recently bought a mix bag of buttons and it is like a pick’n’mix bag or a box of chocolates -I had no idea what I was getting until I purchased it and explored the contents inside. I’ve been very lucky as the particular bag I picked up has been a treasure trove of vintage buttons. I’ve been using them for bags, bib necklaces and for this particular DIY tutorial.
What you need:
- Embroidery Thread
- 2 Buttons – with a ring on the backs
- 2 Earring hooks
- 4 metal jump rings
- 2 looped headpins
- Glue Gun
- Hook each looped head pin through the back of each button.
- Use the glue gun to stick the looped end of the headpin to the top of the button.
- Hook the earring hooks onto the looped ends of the headpins with 2 jump rings.
- Use the embroidery thread to make the tassels – you can check out the tassel tutorial here. I made these tassels quite long but you can choose whatever length suits you.
- Hook the tassels to the back of each button using the remaining jump rings.
As usual, I like to keep my tutorials simple, straight-forward but fabulous and these earrings certainly fit that category. They’re simple but eye-catchingly elegant – I’ve already had a friend exclaim that these are her favourite of my DIYs. So go on- have a root around in wholesale markets, second-hand stores, craft shops and flea market stalls; you never know what you might find, you might just strike gold!