1920s style was seen all over the catwalks for S/S 2012 – from Gucci to Roberto Cavalli fashion seems to have taken inspiration from The Great Gatsby. By the way – if anyone has not yet seen the trailer for Baz Luhrmann’s “The Great Gatsby” coming out later this year, go YouTube it – it looks beautiful! Taking inspiration from this awesome flapper style, this headband could suit any occasion, it doesn’t even need to be for a 1920’s themed bash!
What you need:
- Thick ribbon (can be pre-embellished if you like – mine is embroidered)
- 5 big fake jewels
- 2 elastic hair bands
- Bundle of feathers
- Contact Adhesive
- Needle & Thread / Sewing Machine
- Glue Gun
- Measure out and cut the thick ribbon, make sure it sits high on your forehead – not too tightly!
- Knot the 2 elastic hairbands together.
- Take one end of the thick ribbon and fold over one of the hairbands. Using a needle & thread (or sewing machine), stitch the folded ribbon end back on itself. Repeat with the other end of the ribbon with the other hairband.
- Using the contact adhesive stick each of the jewels on the upside of the headband at regular intervals. Leave to dry.
- Plug in the glue gun and wait for the glue to heat up. Stick the bundle of feathers to the underside of the headband. Leave to dry.
I’ve always loved 1920’s style and now with this headband I can add a hint of it to any outfit. The gold and maroon embroidery gives the headband a regal air to it and I just love the warmth of the colours. Now, does anyone actually want to through a 1920’s themed party so I can have an excuse to go all out?