I told you there’d be plenty of friendship bracelet-esque blogposts and I’m not relenting anytime soon…I blame coming across a fantastic site with plenty of friendship bracelet patterns. I’m constantly finding new, challenging patterns to try out, luckily there’s plenty of space in my accessories drawers for more arm candy (not to mention plenty of space on my wrists!
This time I tried out a simple zigzag pattern with a chain embellishment; adding embellishments to woven friendship bracelets lift them from “beatnik” to “voguish”. A simple addition can completely reinvent these school-day trinkets, try it out for yourself, the choice of thread is literally endless!
What you need:
- 2 different coloured embroidery thread – cut 3 lengths of each colour, at least 3 times the length of your wrist’s circumference.
- Gold chain – the length of your wrist’s circumference
- Sewing needle
- An extra length of embroidery thread (use the same colour thread as the one used for the middle zigzag of the bracelet. I used dark green for my bracelet) – cut 6 times the length of your wrist’s circumference.
- 2 metal ring links
- 1 metal clasp
- Follow the instructions for the friendship bracelet here.
- Thread the extra length of embroidery thread with the sewing needle.
- Undo the knot at one end of the friendship bracelet and re-tie with the open end of the extra length of embroidery thread.
- Align the chain alongside the friendship bracelet.
- Thread the sewing needle through the first link in the chain then thread it back through the middle of the friendship bracelet.
- Continue to stitch the chain alongside the friendship bracelet through each link in the chain.
- Once you’ve stitched the entire length of the chain to the friendship bracelet, cut the end of the extra thread to remove the sewing thread.
- Undo the bottom knot of the friendship bracelet and re-tie with the extra thread.
- Using the pliers, hook a metal ring link just under knot at one end of the bracelet. Hook the metal clasp onto the other ring link and hook it through the other end of the bracelet.
- Using the lighter, burn the ends of the bracelet to just above the knots.
What are you waiting for? Go on and embellish those naked wrists!